Expressive programming language? Was: [Gllug] Speaker Suggestion

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jan 10 18:15:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004, nix at esperi.org.uk uttered the following:
> The last time I wrote an allocator, for a language without
> type-accuracy, I used a double-collector: the allocator allocated
> objects of very similar sizes in slabs, and ran Baker's treadmill on
> each slab, spinning the treadmill for slabs with more items on more
> often than that for ones with fewer. Most programs have huge numbers of
> a very few objects, so this turned out to be much more effective than
> I'd expected.

If that seemed confused it's because I started the sentence describing
one allocator (a combination of reference counting and mark and sweep)
and ended the sentence describing a completely different one (the
slabbed Baker's treadmill).

I hadn't been drinking last night, honestly...

--
As they say, build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a
path to your door. But nobody ever got anywhere outlawing mice.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk