[Gllug] Jobs Sites and Universities [slightly off-topic]

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 19:57:41 UTC 2004

Bernard Peek wrote:

> The best developers I ever hired both failed their degrees.

The best sysadmin I ever hired had a PhD. But in nuclear physics, not
computer science.

A good degree from a good university indicates that the candidate is
intelligent, not a lot more as far as IT work is concerned (it's
somewhat different for doctors, lawyers etc. where there's a lot to be
learned which doesn't change so fast). So it's fairly irrelevant what
the subject is.

But I agree that there are loads of highly intelligent people out there
with no degrees. Many people leave the educational system early because
they are bored because they are so much brighter than the people being
taught alongside them. I have a degree from a prestigious university and
I am working alongside someone who left school at 16, doing much the
same sort of work for the same sort of money. He is every bit as bright
as me. We arrived here by very different routes. I think mine was
probably more fun:)

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk