[Gllug] DVD Copying -Command line

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jul 19 09:33:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:15:47AM +0100, wendy wrote:
> Hi All,
> I want to use DVD's as a back up of my system (Redhat
> 9).I wonder if there is a command line tool that i can
> put in to the crontab.Your expert comments
> appriciated.

There are all kinds of tools you might use, from dd on up.  Since you
have a DVD writer, I can recommend Mondo Rescue.  It can create a
bootable DVD (or set of DVDs, if you have a lot of data) containing your
backup and a recovery system with all the drivers needed to boot your
machine.  If your system fails catastrophically, you can boot from the
DVD and recreate your entire system, just from the DVD.

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

Some people only run Mondo every month or even just every quarter, doing
more conventional backups the rest of the time.  It means that, in case
of the system failing badly, they can use Mondo to restore a working
system very quickly and then restore an up-to-date system from their
regular backup.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill