[Gllug] How to uninstall?

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Jul 26 08:58:34 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Sharon Kimble announce to the hordes:
> Thank you. I knew how to do it but I couldn't remember what the command
> was, but you've jogged my memory and its 'make clean' which then removes
> everything, a bit like unmake instead of make :)

Um... No.
make clean just cleans up the source tree, removing all compiled stuff in
order to make a clean compile, once you've installed, the binaries no longer
reside in that directory. They're installed into the system directories,
like man pages go into /usr/man or /usr/local/man, executables go into
/usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, support files go to /usr/share or
/usr/local/share, etc.

It depends where the ./configure script was set for. Most ./configure
scripts default to /usr/local unless told otherwise.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk