[Gllug] Profiling - where is all the time going?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 10:10:51 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with profiling a compute intensive program.  It does
practically no i/o and it isn't memory bound - it just thinks hard.

I've compiled and linked with -pg and I seem to be getting a reasonably
meaningful output except for one thing.  If I let the program run for 60
seconds and then examine the profiling information I'm told that the
cumulative time used by all the functions is 10.77 seconds.  Where could
the other 49 seconds be going?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk