[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Thu Jul 15 13:10:21 UTC 2004

Huw Lynes wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:35:51 +0100
>Tethys <tet at createservices.com> wrote:
>
>>ncidentally, has anyone else noticed how hard it is to buy a
>>non-wireless ADSL router these days?
>>

>Yes.
>
>Also in my experience pretty much any ADSL kit that you buy on the high street
>will be almost entirely non-functional. This is certainly the case for ADSL
>router/firewalls, it may be different where plain old ADSL modems are
>concerned.

I recently got myself a second hand Conexant PCI adsl modem, very easy
to setup, the hardest part was simply compiling pppd with the pppoatm
plugin patch.
these usually support upto 4mbits aswell, btw, it was about 12 pounds on
ebay

that said, on my 2.4.18 firewall bringing up and down the interface
about 8 times in less than an hour makes the box oops on me.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk