[Gllug] Re: Two Queries (Gllug Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9)

Christopher Currie chris at bloxwich.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 4 21:44:19 UTC 2004

On Sunday 04 July 2004 4:33 pm, gllug-request at gllug.org.uk wrote:

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004  anth <ajchapman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Software getting installed without the users knowledge is considered a
> security flaw rather than a feature that increases ease of use, so
> there isn't a need to get rid of such things. I don't know what
> browser you're using, but if you take a look through its menus you'll
> probably find a decent cookie manager. Telling the browser not to load
> unrequested popups, and to put requested popups in a new tab instead
> of a new window makes the web a much nicer place to visit. Most of the
> browsers I've used recently let you block images from a server by
> using the right click menu.

I've already got cookie management & popup suppression set on both Mozilla and
Konqueror. Even so, I still get unwanted ad cookies accumulating, simply
because many sites require cookies to be enabled and it becomes unworkable to
answer a whole flood of cookie queries manually.

So something that I can run regularly to get rid of the resulting junk &
spyware, whatever browser had pulled it, rather than having to do
cookie-cleaning manually for each browser at intervals, would be convienient
and add to peace of mind.

> If that isn't enough for you grab a css file that will make mozilla
> block most ads
> http://dion.swamp.dk/filters.html
> ...or set up a proxy that will filter out the nasty stuff before it
> reaches your browser
> http://www.privoxy.org/

Thanks. Will  look at both.

Christopher