[Gllug] "Bounced email" received containing virus

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 09:29:36 UTC 2004

Hello,
   I have received an apparently genuine Postfix bounce message from a host
in the US. The hostname agrees with the authenticated IP address, and it
appears to be a single allocated IP address.
   The "bounced" email containing a virus appears to have originated in a
university in Dunkirk, France, and a whois lookup on the "sender's IP
address" shows that it has been locked out by RIPE.

   I am using fetchmail and exim4 on my mailserver. The return path shown on
my local mailserver's received header just shows my_domain at pop3.my_isp. Would
this be normal for a message sent without any return path?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk