[Gllug] Piece on Linux on BBC News24 this afternoon.

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 09:02:50 UTC 2004

On Sun 13 Jun, Colin Murphy wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcnews24/listings/
> programme.shtml?day=today&service_id=4352&filename=20040613/20040613_1630_4352_52557_3
> 0
>
> 4.30 pm on Sun 13.06.04
>
> I suspect I'll end up missing it but I would like to know what sort of bias
> baggage it comes with.

   That is Click OnLine, which is broadcast several times on various BBC
channels including News24, World Service, and Breakfast (BBC1 first thing
Sunday mornings)

   There was a short item on Linux, the general themes being

 something about a penguin, including a short clip about Linus

 that it is a multi-faceted system which depends on contributions from the
open source comunity but is not owned by any individual (a graphic shown
looked to me something like a galaxy surrounding a black hole)

 that it is about ready to do battle with Microsoft, but it needed more
knowledge to install than that required to use Microsoft, and there can be
problems during partitioning and installation (me thinks: can average
Microsoft users install Microsoft?)

 that organisations such as Mandrake, SuSE, and RedHat will need to be able
to survive while supplying software which is free

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk