Was [Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Jun 8 10:06:17 UTC 2004

On Tue 08 Jun Luke Hopkins wrote:
> Have been following this thread with interest. We run web services which
> are very db & disk intensive.

If it's disk intensive, make sure you get a good disk subsystem, and
configure it well.

> We had planned on ordering some Dell 1750's (XEON with HT), but the
> concensus seems to be that's not the best option?

For dual-processor, opterons seem to be better.  For uniprocessor,
there's not much in it, aiui.

> Would opterons be better for this purpose? Would we then need to run a
> 64 bit OS? Reccomendations?

You don't have to.

I'm running standard 32-bit x86 Debian (with a 64-bit kernel) on them
right now.  There's going to be a pure64 debian amd port out quite soon
though, and multiarch later (so both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries can
cohabit).  I'm going to need multiarch for a lot of stuff (because we
use Oracle), but I'm going to run at least one machine on pure64.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | I am the hamster.
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | Hear me roar.           Growl!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk