[Gllug] GIMP (was Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux)

George Hazlewood - Layer1 george at layer1.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 12:37:19 UTC 2004

Richard Jones wrote:
> I just find it odd that people prefer to buy a product that costs a
> lot of money, rather than using one which is free and is apparently
> almost as capable.

As a current Photoshop user perhaps I can give my perspective.
Currently I don't use GIMP because:

1) I've had to learn Photoshop over many years (not that I know it
inside out but I know it well), I've used GIMP(admittedly a while back)
and I know that it would take a good while for me to become comfortable
doing all the things I need to do with GIMP.

2) As you say "almost as capable", I was under the impression that the
feature set of GIMP vs. PS isn't comparable (but I realise that this may
be my misunderstanding of GIMPs ability).  For me to switch, GIMP would
have to not only beat PS on the feature front, but actually have
features that PS doesn't...

I'm currently downloading the Win32 version of GIMP to have a proper play...

Believe me I'd love to ditch more commercial software for OS stuff...

Cheers

George
--
Layer1