[Gllug] RAID Help

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Mar 30 09:39:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, wendy carr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So i have installed redhat 9 with /,swap,/boot and
> /home(where all the mbox's will be).I used mdadm to
> create raid devices.But i cant seem to create raids on
> partitions when they are mounted, so i was unable to
> create raid on my /home and /.

I think I've suggested before that the OReilly book
'Using RAID on Linux' would be well worth getting?

Also, as a suggestion you could purchase two new disks for
this system.
Install them and bring the system up single-user.
Partition, create a software RAID on them and make filesystems.
Mount the new RAID as (say) /mnt/newhome
Copy across your existing /home
Edit /etc/fstab so that the RAID is now mounted as /home
Reboot

But as others say might be easier to re-install.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk