[Gllug] Warning about your e-mail account.

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 10 09:17:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:51:43AM +0000, Chris wrote:
> On Wed 10 Mar, management at org.uk wrote:
> > Dear user of e-mail server "Org.uk",
> >
> > We warn you about some  attacks on your e-mail account. Your computer may
> > contain viruses,  in order to keep  your computer and  e-mail  account safe,
> > please, follow the instructions.
> >
> > For further details see  the attach.
>
>    Interesting, I had seen a report about the latest batch of viruses. I
> also saw a report that some AV organisations had managed to detect and block
> them.

ClamAV had a signature out very quickly.  Even though the zipfile was
encrypted, the zipfile itself had an identifiable sig.

> Still, it is like water off a duck's back to my system.

Any responsible admin of a network with Windows workstations should have
up-to-date AV clients on those workstations.  Then the malicious
contents of the archive file can be spotted even if the av software
can't scan the outer package.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick