[Gllug] OT Mail relay configuration issue

Matt Saunders matts at yoyo.org
Fri Mar 5 15:43:34 UTC 2004

On Mar 05, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 03:11:42PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> > I fall somewhere between the two. Yes, 100K is excessive, but 4K is probably
> > too small. It's sometimes informative to have more than just the headers.
> > I'd probably put the cutoff at around 15-20K or so. Just checking some of
> > our previous bounces here, I've found one with 11K of useful header info
> > (it eventually failed due to too many hops), and had it been truncated
> > at 4K, we wouldn't have been able to diagnose and fix the problem.
>
> Now that's an argument that I can accept.  100K is just the default
> option and I smell an ignorant bastard wasting my time.

Tethys has described exactly the reason why we don't want to change that
limit.  The person you've corresponded with is not an Exim admin, but
I am, and I'm the person who chose not to change the limit from the
default having been asked to investigate it.  Apologies if the exact
reasoning did not get to you.

An ignorant bastard MCSE he might be, but not so ignorant as to not ask
someone else about something he doesn't know about. :-)

Apologies if this doesn't satisfy your needs, but we have to operate
shared services using a "policy of least surprise".  Experience has shown
me that a minor tweak like that can cause major problems for others...

Matt.
--
  Matt Saunders
  "This is getting very silly. Too silly."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk