[Gllug] SCSI and /dev

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Sat Mar 6 10:14:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Now udev does interest me, because one of the problems that it's
> designed to solve, persistent naming, bugs me personally a lot. I have a
> removable media firewire disk, and CF and SD card readers on my machine,

At FOSDEM in Brussels, Robert Love gave a very good talk on just
these things. He works on kernel development, but the theme of his
talk was on how work on the kernel is making desktop Linux better.

As he has moved to Ximian expect to see features appear
for SuSE first.

One of the examples he gave was (say) plugging in a camera.
Then your laptop would recognise it and start gphoto.
(Before anyone says it, yes I know this is possible now).

http://tech9.net/rml/talks/rml_fosdem_2004.sxi

When I get time, I'm very interested in his new kernel messaging layer,
from the point of view of systems monitoring.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk