[Gllug] re: qmail

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 08:14:44 UTC 2004

I too use qmail, and have found no problems with it.

Until the SMTP spec changes, it would seem that the apparent lack of DJB
support is not a problem.  There are loads of patches on the qmail.org site
to enhance the package - my own personal preference being a patch to add
receiver-address verification to the smtpd program  (this avoids wasted
bandwidth by rejecting emails to invalid receivers, instead of the default
qmail strategy of accepting the email and then boucing it back).  There are
various flavours of patch to achieve this - I use a homegrown one to verify
the users against a small 'database' held in memory - others use (I believe)
a hashed-key file.

I personally tend to work on the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' system -
so qmail will stay in place for the foreseeable future.  I suppose there is
always the possibility that DJ Bernstein will some day resurface !!

Tim

This E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk