[Gllug] Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Mar 18 14:08:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 01:14:18PM +0000, Rob Crowther wrote:
> But if they only mark everything up as <p> then there's no way of CSS
> deciding which ones are supposed to be <h1/2/3/4> or where the bold text
> goes?  In DW they set a heading type and they can see immediately that
> it's, eg, not orange and know they've put in the wrong one, plus DW will
> remember to put in a closing tag (and also an actual closing tag with a
> slash in it, which is something people seem to forget), and the
> stylesheet will format it all as intended and it will all still validate
> (or it would do if the graphic designer hadn't foisted a flash
> navigation banner on us).

I actually apologise in advance if the people you're dealing with here
have medically recognised learning difficulties.

In one office I worked in during the late 80s, secretaries used a
really really horrible word processing tool which I now forget the
name.  It ran through serial terminals to a DEC mainframe.  The
editing environment, if you could call it such, was line-based rather
like Unix ed(1).  Formatting was achieved using '.'  sequences, a bit
like troff(1).

Guess what ... the secretaries used it, and they *liked* it.  It had a
funky template facility where, using an obscure sequence of
keystrokes, you could pull out a template and start writing a new
document.  It was *fast*.  They'd memorized all the obscure keystrokes
for editing lines.

Now what we're talking about here, ie.

- copy the template file to index.shtml
- edit index.shtml using (eg) notepad
- insert some minimum set of perhaps 4 or 5 possible HTML tags for
  formatting

is much easier to use than that DEC mainframe horror.  I really don't
believe that people will find it hard to use.  I'm sure actually
people will find it's easier because there's much less that can go
wrong, compared to using Word which crashes or some accidental
keystroke performs some sort of undoable formatting change, etc etc.

Rich.

If I have not seen as far as others, it is because I have been
standing in the footprints of giants.  -- from Usenet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk