[Gllug] Email programs and mbox format

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Mar 15 14:28:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:06:44PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 01:13:52PM +0000, Sharon wrote:
> > Ext 3 fs. Does this help?
>
> Ext3 is not a great filesystem for having lots of small files.

I would agree with Bruce.

Some additional info: The block size on ext2 / ext3 may be altered
when you format the disk using the ``mkfs -b block_size'' flag.
Common block sizes are 1024 and 4096 bytes.  Setting a small block
size makes storing lots of small files more efficient, because a file
will take up at least one block no matter how small it is.
Unfortunately larger block sizes have noticable performance gains.

Note also that there is an interaction between block size and stripe
size if you're using ext3 over RAID.  The Software RAID HOWTO
explains.

> Reiserfs is, but I wouldn't trust it for anything I wanted to keep
> (I use it only for systems with spools or caches that need high
> performance, where the data stored is transient).

Reiserfs has failed on me in bad, unrecoverable ways a couple of
times.  Not good.

> Your plan to get the files back into mbox files is probably your
> best bet.

Yup.

Rich.

Learning Objective CAML for C, C++, Perl and Java programmers:
http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/