[Gllug] Legal precedent for email disclaimers

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu May 27 11:43:51 UTC 2004

This one time, at band camp, Tethys wrote:

> Does anyone know of any legal precent for the validity or otherwise of
> email disclaimers? I'm not looking for the opinion of laymen here -- I've
> already tried that approach, and the legal people aren't having any of it,
> and without anything to back up my position, future email from me may well
> have 27 billion lines of legal boilerplate attached, a situation I'd rather
> avoid...

Just use common sense.  Saying "don't read this" in text AFTER the bit
you don't want people to read is absolute lunacy!  To have any legal
meaning, it has to be BEFORE the bit you're trying to protect.

If you read the above text, you have violated my right to privacy and
are due a fee of twenty pounds, payable in beer at the next GLLUG pub
meet.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "When bankers get together for dinner they discuss art, when artists
  get together for dinner they discuss money."
- Oscar Wilde
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk