[Gllug] Local Debian apt proxies

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu May 20 15:37:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 03:23:07PM +0100, Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have a Debian Woody box running apt-proxy, but the similar prog on
> Sarge is apt-cacher.

The most similar tool on Sarge is apt-proxy.  Sarge has both tools.

> Can anyone please tell me whether I should start a new
> local proxy for Sarge on a new Sarge box, or should the existing apt-proxy
> cope with both Woody and Sarge together?

It should be fine.

> There is adequate space, but I do
> not want to mix software versions on some boxes. Thanks.

That would not happen.  All apt-proxy does is choose whether a
particular request goes to the original remote host or to the local
cache.  It only diverts to the local cache if it has the exact file you
requested, it will not substitute one version with another.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.