[Gllug] re: grammar

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Sep 3 10:06:20 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 Sep 2004 10:57 am, t.clarke wrote:
> Since grammar seems to have cropped up again, and harking back to a
>
> I thought that an apostrophe to replace missing characters in an
> abbreviated word was perfectly normal !

In a contracted form, such as "can't" where there is following material
remaining - yes. "Typo", however, isn't a contraction, it's an
abbreviation and hence should be "typo." but as it so conventionalised
in the "typing error" meaning it has become an independent word. Hence,
"typo" in this sense is a word in its own right, so takes a plain /-s/
plural. The /-'s/ is only ever acceptable as the posessive marker.

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"
                                  -Dark Helmet