[Gllug] log analysis

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 14:28:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:58:01PM +0100, Craig Millar wrote:
> Hi all,
> Was wondering if i could whip up a bash script and cron it to send me a
> weekly email of anything unusual it turns up in my logs. I do like to go
> through the logs from time to time and keep an eye out for anything
> untoward, ie intrusion attempts or anything glaringly wrong of which I
> should be aware.

I use logcheck, but it's rather basic - will look into logwatch which
others have suggested.

logcheck is just a list of regexes which are matched against a set of
log files using egrep.

There are lists of things to ignore and things to shout about.

It runs from cron, and emails all the relevant lines.

I even have the Windows boxen at work running NTsyslog to fire their
event logs to a syslog box, whereupon logcheck does the dirty.

Saves reading through that infernal event viewer!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk