[Gllug] SUSE 9.1 vs Fedora Core 2

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 19:32:01 UTC 2004

Pip offered:

> Yeah, but drama queen was always a favourite occupation of mine.
> I know nothing of Debian, nor what a minimal install of it would be. I'm
> basically just supporting the idea that the desktop installations - Fedora
> and SuSe were the ones in question - aren't really the best way to get a
> perfect server running. Figure out what you need, start with the minimum. It
> gives you less to worry about.

Agreed.  Out of interest, have you actually built many servers from
scratch for production use?  What do you use as your build
environment? I'm imagining you installing linux on a partition, then
using that to build your minimal install on another partition, then
blowing away the first linux install... Or do you use something like
knoppix?  I'm curious.

> Pip

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk