[Gllug] Viable back-up solutions for gigabytes?

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Sep 5 12:51:59 UTC 2004

In message <20040905091259.GA15641 at xiao.rsnet>, Russell Howe
<rhowe at wiss.co.uk> writes

>Some people make backups to hard drives, but these devices weren't
>really built as backup devices and the whole reason we have RAID is
>because people *expect* HDs to fail.
>
>Having a copy of your data on a spare HD is always handy though - large
>ones can be bought fairly cheaply, and they're fast. Good for when you
>accidentally rm -rf /tmp/junk /* :)

The big advantage of hard-drive backups isn't immediately obvious. It
only takes seconds to take a backup so it's really easy to do. That
means you are more likely to actually do it, while backups to removable
media get deferred. I've seen backups deferred for 6 months.

In reality backup to disk and backup to removable media are different
types of operation and get done for different reasons. Neither one is an
adequate substitute for the other, you really need both.

This machine is backed up to a disk on my server every night, and the
server then makes another backup on a separate disk. That data gets
backed up to CD-ROM.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk