[Gllug] Resolving host names from a dhcp server

N.Pauli npauli at st-johns.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 19:03:06 UTC 2004

Dear All,

I'm using TightVNC's vncviewer to connect to VNCservers running on clients
on our network. What I want to do is to be able to type in the host's name
(e.g. it24) rather than its ip address (e.g. 10.0.3.62) to be able to view
that station. Originally my linux box [linuxbox] had a static ip address so,
not unreasonably, I thought that if I want this to work linuxbox should get
its address via the same dhcp server as used by the stations. I made this
change and manually edited /etc/hosts to reflect the change but I still
cannot connect via vncviewer to it24 but only to 10.0.3.62. Nor can I ping
it24 - though I can ping 10.0.3.62. Dhcp clients running WindowsXP can pull
off this "connect to the host name" trick quite successfully.

Is their something here I am missing?

Thanks,
Nigel
--