[Gllug] Linux Sound APIs

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 13:58:13 UTC 2005

I want to write a small application for processing sound under linux, I
think I've said this before and have run a blank.

The seams to be no standard way of writing sound programs and the sound
programs that are around need two or more different ways of possibly
talking to the sound driver.

At the Low level we have OSS and ALSA and ALSA seams to be the prefered
way, However neither offer a standard api for playing and recording noise.

I use NAS as I use thin clients that talk it but this seams very poorly
documentated.

The other choises seam to be JACK or ARts but which is best to use and
why can't we stablize on one standard API even if we have more than one
backend.

I want somthing thats well documentated and easy to understand.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk