[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Apr 29 14:36:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Daniel P. Berrange said:
> In the experiance I've had with it, EJB seems to basically be a very good
> way to get vendor lock-in in an otherwise 'portable'[1] language. To wit, if you
> want to run you app in WebSphere, then you have to use IBM's EJB compiler
> which basically means you then have no choice[2] but to use WSAD (IBMs crack
> laden version of Eclipse) as your development platform.

It's much worse than that. EJB is a horrific and dysfunctional
misdesigned grossly limited abomination.

I mean, even discounting the API itself and the ludicrously patronising
terminology (`Home objects', for God's sake!), anything halfway useful
is forbidden because the (corporate) specifiers of this half-assed
system couldn't be bothered to write proxies to distribute
whatever-it-was.

I mean, you're not allowed to use any threading features at all, you're
not allowed to use static fields, you're not allowed to do file or
network I/O, you're not allowed to use the reflection API, you're not
allowed to pass `this' around... it's insane! All of those things
could have been implemented witha few not very complex proxy classes,
but no, the EJB spec lusers preferred to forbid them and then *not even
require implementations to diagnose constrait violations*.

If you use EJB, you lock yourself into a language like Java but with
even less power, in which it's impossible to do a vast number of things
(the number of useful things blocked by banning passing `this' around is
immense.)

Avoid avoid avoid avoid.

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk