[Gllug] Fedora and JPackage

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 12:59:26 UTC 2005

Bruce wrote:

> To be fair, Will, he didn't compare rpm and apt; after all, he suggested
> adding apt to rpm, not replacing it.  If you look carefully, he also
> suggested yum, so I don't think this can be dismissed as Debian
> weeniness.

I have to say that my first impression was as follows:

RPM: Use of capitalisation to emphasis what it doesn't do.  Use of
terms 'whinges' and 'dies'
APT: "infintely superior"

That looked like a comparison, which we all know isn't really sensible.

The message went on to suggest apt or yum as a way to solve the fact
that RPM doesn't solve dependencies, which is of course fine, although
it might have come over as more balanced to say something like:
Neither rpm nor dpkg solve dependencies, and such need a tool to do
this - apt is a common Debian solution, yum or apt are common
solutions in Fedora.

I think Will's point was valid.

S.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk