[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Fri Apr 29 15:00:58 UTC 2005

This one time, at band camp, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> There aren't that many subsets of perl, in fact the syntax is fully
> covered in the Camel Book, including all the core methods.
>
> I haven't met anybody yet who struggled with perl because they were
> using a different subset to everybody else. This seems to be nonsense.

He's talking about the various idioms used in Perl.  And I have agree,
this makes Perl somewhat difficult.  Particularly the ones that look
like linenoise.  This isn't helped by the documentation often using the
most obscure constructions.

A good example is push: http://www.perlfunc.org/function.php?name=push

The example given:
    for $value (LIST) {
    	$ARRAY[++$#ARRAY] = $value;
    	}

When I, and surely anyone sane, would write this:
    foreach $value (LIST) {
    	push(@ARRAY, $value)
    	}

Or maybe I'm missing something?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Because nerds travel too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

Trickle-down theory--the less than elegant metaphor that if
one feeds the horse enough oats, some will pass through to
the road for the sparrows.

- J. K. Galbraith