[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Thu Apr 28 18:26:17 UTC 2005

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> Is it that you never re-use code, or do you just use import statements
> all over the place?
>
> Many small programs don't need external libraries.  Many larger ones
> benefit hugely from a modular approach.  Properly done, code re-use is
> efficient, saves time, reduces the number of bugs etc etc.

I don't understand this point.

>>and if you do then really your OS should provide
>>the distribution mechanism.
>

> ??? Code distribution isn't an OS function, it's an application-level
> activity.  I assume you were using OS as a loose term for "whatever

I only ever use Debian, really, so from my point of view, code
distribution is done by my OS, and it does quite well enough for me, and
far better than anything else I've ever seen.

doug.

--
doug at isotoma.com   / Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 020 7620 1446 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk