[Gllug] Server hardware settings

Conrad Simon Jarrett conrad at theinterfacesystem.net
Wed Aug 17 22:03:18 UTC 2005

Hi Fellowites Gllugites,

I am setting up a server with some fellow members this month but am a bit (or
byte?) confused with the hardware settings on the motherboard:

The motherboard is an old SOYO, model “SY-6BA+IV” and is fitted with a Pentium
II 400mhz slot 1 chip.

On start-up, the display says that the chip/board has been set to a
“multiplier of 4.0” and runs the chip as a Pentium II 266mhz.

In BIOS it states the chip is a Pentium II 400mhz 66 (presumably the "66" is
the speed setting for the Front Side Bus/FSB). I have reset the BIOS to
Pentium II 400mhz 100 and saved settings, but still the display shows the
lower 266mhz as the machine runs through POST and BIOS on start-up.

Do you know if this is a result of a jumper setting on the board or an old
BIOS that needs updating, or could it be the CPU? (My guess is that it seems
like it's a board setting.)

If it is the CPU, do you know if I would be able to use a Pentium III slot 1
CPU on this board?

I've tried accessing the manuals on the SOYO website, but the url for the info
does not work/has expired.

Anyone have any ideas where-else I could find a copy of the manuals or know
the answers to the above?

--
Conrad S. Jarrett,
Facile Princeps

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended

If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
thepostmaster at theinterfacesystem.net

Any views or opinions expressed in this E-mail are those of the sender and do
not necessarily coincide with those of The InterFACE System.

The recipient should check this E-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses, "trojans" or other malicious software. The InterFACE System accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus, program or attachment
transmitted by this E-mail.

www.theinterfacesystem.net
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk