[Gllug] Re: How to start a carrer in Linux Admin ?

Gerd Busker gerd at busker.org
Mon Aug 15 10:10:43 UTC 2005

Hi,

> I am really fed up with trying to be a Linux / Unix
> systems admin. I am pretty confident i am good with
> Linux skills (all configuration stuff + even hardware
> such as SCSI cards and RAID). But when i look at jobs
> on the web and even with Recruitment agencies i find
> everyone looking for experience in 3rd party
> software/HW such as ....

I think rule one in reading such ads is to realise that these are desired
skills.  You don't have to have the full contingent to be considered.

Unfortunately, the slave traders tend to work with the checklist
approach to recruiting which is why they should be avoided as much as possible.

I think the best way is to choose a company or industry you are interested
in and just ignore the requirements a bit.  If you have 25% of the list you
should in many cases be qualified enough :)

Gerd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk