[Gllug] new member....

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 20:39:04 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 16:22, Tom Hannen wrote:
> Simon - I really don't need a fancy GUI, and I'd like to only use it
> for checking email and web-browsing... It cost a grand total of £7.50
> on ebay, so I"m not expecting miracles!  It would just be handy to
> have around as an extra screen & keyboard with net access...
>
> When is the next meeting?

> > > The details:
> > >
> > > Compaq Contura 410C 486DX2 50MHz
> > > 20MB RAM
> > > 400MB HDD
> > > 1.44MB FDD
> > > Two Type II PCMCIA slots currently hosting a:
> > > Sitecom Fast Ethernet PCMCIA 10/100MBps NIC

The South Cheshire have just had a meeting and the topic was installing on
really old hardware.
The limiting factor in most cases turned out to be the RAM. 24M was OK for
installing quite a lot with GUIs, although opening multiple applications was
a bit of a nightmare in terms of swap and response time.
GUIs mentioned included -

flwm http://flwm.sourceforge.net/ Fast Light Window Manager based on wm2
pwm http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/ Tabbed Window Manager
pwm2 http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/ Ion based tabbed Window Manager
Ion http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/ Keyboard-centric tabbed Window Manager
Ion2 http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/ Bloated Ion Window Manager
WindowMaker http://www.windowmaker.org/ Window Manager for the GNUstep desktop
environment
BlackBox http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/ Lightweight Window Manager
FluxBox http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/ BlackBox with steroids
Waimea http://www.waimea.org/wiki/Software_2fwaimea Fluxbox rival
wm2 http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wm2/ Slim Window Manager
Rat Poison http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/ Keyboard only Window Manager

The latter was odd, especially on a laptop as it hijacked many of the key
combinations normally used in applications. pwm seemed about the best for
small memory stuff. Everyone at the group was happy with Galeon as a browser.

I am sure I have seen DamnSmallLinux and GreyCat both running on 486s.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk