[Gllug] Ibm T20

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Dec 18 10:24:08 UTC 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:48:43AM +0000, john gennard wrote:
> 	I purchased an old Thinkpad T20 at a Computer
> Fair, knowing its age. I've not had a Laptop before and
> need it only for use at home - the speed (700) is
> quite enough for my needs, and overall the condition
> is reasonable. I've downloaded a mass of information
> from Ibm, but so far haven't found any diagram showing
> what all the 'connectors' are. Can someone shed light
> on things for me please.

I've a T21, which worked fine until the LCD invertor packed up a
few weeks ago. As far as I can remember the T20 and T21 share
pretty much the same case design.

For more information on Linux and IBM Thinkpads have a look here:
	http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T20

> 	Looking at the back, from left to right:-
>
> A very small slot,

It's for an optional security cable.

> then what seems to be a PS/2 socket,

On my T21 it has too many pins for a PS/2 socket and looks
more like an S-Video socket. I've never used it.

> then a nine pin male socket (serial connection?),

Yep, it's a standard PC serial port.

> next a twenty-five pin female socket (printer?),

Standard 25 pin PC parallel port.

> next another but much smaller twenty-five pin female socket,

Standard external VGA socket. In the BIOS you can change the
video output to internal LCD, external VGA or both.

> after those there's a socket which looks able to connect a
> 'phone line,

That's the optional mini-PCI modem. It's a software modem, but may
work with the ltmodem driver.

> then one to take an ethernet plug,

Optional mini-PCI ethernet card.

> power input (I'm OK there), a single USB socket, and
> finally another PS/2 looking socket.

Standard PS2 socket for either keyboard or mice.

> 	The machine works fine with the AC Adapter, but
> I've no idea how to switch to battery use.

When you remove the AC power it shold automatically switch to
using the battery. It is doesn't then you may have a problem
with the battery. The battery is on the underside at the front
of the machine on the left (just in front of the CDROM drive).
There is a release catch next to it in the front middle of the
underside.

The two 100MHz SO-DIMM memory slots are under a screw cover on
the underside at the front left (in front of the PCMCIA slots).
The 2.5" hard drive bay slides out the side and is held by the
larger screw next to the RAM cover. The mini-PCI slot is under
the screwed cover is towards the rear of the underside next to
the manufacturer's information.

> I got a
> brand new CD-RW drive installed (free), so I know how
> to change that to a Floppy drive (if I can get one), or
> a DVD-RW drive. There's provision for two pcmia cards
> on the side, but I've no idea, other than wireless what
> I can use those for.

A few ideas are firewire card, extra ethernet card, real
(hardware) modem.

> 	Windows XP is installed (but no CD), as is the
> full Works 2003. I don't need Windows (she will!!), so
> I'll leave it for the time being and try to create a
> partition for Debian, though as far as I can see, there's
> no fdisk available to let me see the present partitioning.
>
> 	Why something so old? Well, I didn't want to splash
> out for something more up todate as I'm not sure how much
> I shall use the thing. The plan is that use it in an armchair
> (I'm getting a bit old to sit at one of my boxes for Hours in
> the winter), or even in bed when unwell.

Just be careful that you don't block the fan outlet next to the
PCMCIA slots.

> 	Grateful if someone can help - I don't want to shove
> things in the wrong socket and cock everything up.

If you ever want to get rid of the thing then let me know as
I may be able to use it for spare parts.

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk