[Gllug] New EU data retention rules approved

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Dec 14 16:48:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:20:29PM -0000, Lyons, Myke wrote:
> FTA:
> * details, but not the content, of internet e-mail and internet
> -telephony services

I'm fully aware of what the article says.  That's my point.

With Skype, for example, it's rather hard to tell who is being called
for two reasons: (a) most calls pass through a "super-node" which
could be anywhere and (b) all calls are encrypted.  The ISP cannot
know even who the call is going to (not in the common case of two
people calling both from behind NAT, anyhow).

All commonly used IM protocols are proprietary; some have been
reverse-engineered to an extent, but some haven't.  Is the ISP
expected to do this?  What if I invent my own stronger peer-to-peer IM
to cover up my "terrorist activities"?  Do they need to reverse
engineer that one?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.