[Gllug] New EU data retention rules approved

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Dec 14 16:35:30 UTC 2005

So we've got the surveillance state by a bit of backdoor policy
laundering:

(Nice that the BBC have buried this story - it doesn't even seem to be
on the front page).

But I'm confused as to how this is going to work.  Do ISPs need to
install transparent proxies on SMTP and HTTP ports?  That's really
going to be a problem for high-bandwidth connections.  How about
encrypted stuff?  How about encrypted webmail hosted abroad
(eg. gmail)?  Does this cover IM?  Will ISPs have to reverse-engineer
proprietary IM protocols?  What about peer-to-peer encrypted VOIP like
Skype?

I don't think they really thought this one through ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk