[Gllug] Corrupted Thunderbird mbox

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Mon Dec 12 00:08:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 11:56 +0000, john levin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble opening a large, corrupted Thunderbird mbox. I gather
> these are basically text files, but so far I haven't been able to get
> anything to read it. Generally, apps seem to freeze on it, although nano
> produced an empty page. The mozillazine forums and knowledgebase haven't
> been any help. And I'm having a bad google day, not finding anything
> relevant through the oracle.
>
> Any suggestions?

This is a common problem from what I have seen, unfortunately. I fought
with it for several weeks before giving up.

One thing I remember is that the file that tended to corrupt quickest
was some kind of tracker file that recorded weather or not an email had
been down loaded.

My suggestion is just to make sure that you are looking at the mbox file
incase your searches led you to the wrong file. :s

I do not know but does Thunderbird keep a backup of the mbox?

I have moved on to Evolution and thinking maybe of moving to mutt due to
its' rave reviews on this list.

Regards,

Justin Perreault

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk