[Gllug] ADSL problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 27 22:26:48 UTC 2005

On Sun 27 Feb, Dylan wrote:

> That sounds very much like you need a replacement microfilter - we had a
> lightening strike here last summer which blew out a microfilter
> (literally, bits of it melted on the wall) and had exactly the same
> problem on phonecalls until it was replaced. Luckily, because the
> filter blew up, the surge didn't hit the ADSL router and enter the
> network!

   There should be (or should have been) a spark gap between the incoming
wires, hidden inside the BT master box, and much computer comms equipment
now has an opto-isolator on the input. If you are in an area prone to
lightning strikes you can feed the incoming pair through a ferrite core a
few times, (an old TV line output transformer core would be ideal), or get a
rather more beefy metal cased protector with a good earth connector (more
expensive, but claimed to work well).
   I have been told that telephone boxes often sustained lightning strikes,
and there was often very little damage visible, just a pair of holes in the
cable outer where the spark jumped a bend in the cable.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk