[Gllug] spam harvesting

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Thu Feb 24 10:29:49 UTC 2005

> Why on earth would you want to do that?  If you're lucky enough not to get
> much spam drawing attention to yourself seems nuts.

There is some point to it - IF you use a separate email addresses for it.
I found that bogofilter / spamprobe work a lot better, the better training
they get.

And their performance seemed to markedly increase when I created two new
email aliases that I used exclusively in two "opt out" lists. Any mail I
am receiving on either of those will trigger procmail to immediately pipe
their input to bogofilter / spamprobe to learn as spam. The message itself
gets discarded.

Since the spams themselves don't eat that much bandwith and the filtering
is done on the server side it doesn't really cost me much, and the number
of spams making it through to my inbox is at "record lows" (i.e. the last
two weeks, IIRC 2 spams made it to my inbox - out of some 2400 that were
sent to my "regular" email address in the same time).

And the false positive rate seems pretty much zilch.  (haven't seen one in
quite a while - and haven't had complaints from people about email I
hadn't responded to, either).

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk