[Gllug] Firewall distro

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Fri Feb 4 17:47:20 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've been asked to host a Windows server and since I would trust the
security of it about as far as I could spit out a rat, I want to put it
behind a firewall.

I've configured our other servers (debian) using the standard iptables
stuff and that seems to be fine but I don't have a vast experience of
doing this to build firewalls.

What recommendations would people have for either apps to run on top of
debian to help configure the firewall and/or distros that specifically
target this application ?

In addition to the firewall itself (which should probably act as a bridge
rather than a router and wouldn't need NAT), I'd be interested in running
Snort or similar for intrustion detection and potentially a VPN but that
is a secondary requirement.

Many thanks for the advice,

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk