[Gllug] rm -R not working on Fedora

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Feb 11 22:45:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:31:35PM +0000, Benedikt wrote:

> >Firstly, chmod and cp are not the same binary, so why should you expect
> >them to behave in the same way just because you pass them the same
> >letter as a parameter?
>
> In general you don't need to expect it - but in general it's tried more
> and more that common functionality uses common command line flags

It is, however, extremely foolish to assume that similar arguments will
behave the same way, especially when things are not working, since Unix
commands assume you know what you are doing and only give feedback if
they encounter an operational error.  Always check if you don't actually
know.

As for common functionality, options that have either slightly or
entirely different semantics across the core utilities include -p, -P,
-d and our current friend -R, to mention but a few.  -v is almost the
onlyu one you can be sure of (and then only for the standard GNU
utilities).

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock