[Gllug] Gigabyte + AMD AMIBIOS upgrade

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Feb 28 23:33:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 19:52 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    Can anyone please give advice on upgrading the BIOS on a Gigabyte
> GA-7VEML motherboard. There is a 256K flash ROM, and I have saved the
> original BIOS to floppy as a 256K file using the Q-flash facility already
> available in the original BIOS. This should also be able to load a new BIOS
> from a file on a floppy.
>    The file provided on the Gigabyte website is a 483K .exe file, and it
> seems to be a package to install a new BIOS from a running 32bit M$ windoze
> OS. There does not appear to be a 256K file.
>    There should also be a live update facility which will run in M$ and
> update the BIOS online.

You could use either a DOS boot floppy,
or download a Freedos floppy image http://www.freedos.org/
Put a blank floppy in the drive, then dd if=freedos.img of=/dev/fd0

Believe me, this is a real lack in the Linux world.
When it comes to updating BIOSes on large clusters, there is crying need
for proper utilities. Have done upgrades with PXE booting a Freedos
floppy image, then starting the BIOS upgrade program.

Maybe Theo de Raadt's new initiative will kick enough manufacturers:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/free-bios.html

(And yes, I know about Linuxbios)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk