[Gllug] Anyone know anything about hardware ?

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Tue Jan 25 11:43:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:37:04AM -0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> > I don't know if it is any help with a controller chip problem,
> > but I've had success in getting a dodgy drive to work by putting it
> > in a sealed bag then into the freezer, say for a few hours or overnight.
>
> Does the cold damage the platters ?

It shouldn't do.

> I have had the drive out of the machine for about 48 hours and it still wont
> work in that machine or another :-(

Have you read the relevant information about the thermal problem with
the Cirrus Logic controller chip on the logic board on those Fujitsu
drives?

> I don't think I will even get the chance to flash the drive BIOS unless I can
> get the machine BIOS to recognise it :-(

I'm not certain if that's necessary. I don't know enough about PC
BIOSes to say with certainty what's required. Does the IDE controller
map the drive BIOS into system memory? Is that how flashing the drive
BIOS works?

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk