[Gllug] speaking of DNS server setups...

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jan 4 16:51:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Benedikt Heinen wrote:

> Is it possible, with bind9 or another name server, to specify part of a
> domain name as a wildcard?
>
> e.g.  I would like to define the same setup for all *.foo.net hosts, so
> that www.a.foo.net, www.b.foo.net, ... www.zyx-cba.foo.net all point to
> the same host?

Yes, it's simple to do.

> Second, and now it gets more interesting, can I specify exceptions?

Yes. The wildcard is used only where there is no explicit record.

> Finally, and now we're leaving bind's domain - can I set up postfix in a
> way to allow to receive email for all those, without adding all
> individual names to the mydestination and/or relay_domains list?

Probably, depending upon exactly what you want. Most maps in postfix can
be used in the manner you suggest if you configure the system to do so.

I would avoid this though as it makes life really easy for spammers and
really hard for you.

It's trivially easy to add an record to a database table to activate a
subdomain or other recipient "site" in postfix.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £21.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk