[Gllug] Biitorrent for a dummy

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Jan 23 23:32:56 UTC 2005

Tethys wrote:

> Errr... no. It means that your box is too heavily loaded. A load average
>
>of 0 is opitimal. A load average of 1 means that your CPU can't keep up
>with the amount of work being thrown at it.

So my dual opteron 242 running two copies of setiathome and therefore
having a load average of 2 is too heavily loaded?  Weird, it manages to
run a complete desktop environment, play mp3s, let's me browse the web,
read mail, tail logs etc whilst doing so.

Let's look at this a different way: A load average of zero means your
CPU is doing nothing, and is therefore wasted.  Sounds like
overprovisioning to me.

Mart.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk