[Gllug] OT: microdirect.co.uk reliable?

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 10:08:00 UTC 2005

Alistair Mann wrote:
>>if anyone could point me to
>>a better supplier?
>
> Maplins, then PCWorld. Both of them are common enough in London for me to pop
> over to them, and both have satisfactory returns policies for PSUs.

You have to be joking, Maplins is staffed by braindead morons.  I bought
an ADSL 'modem' with ethernet interface from them once because my
firewall PC (with the squashed frog) was making a bad rattling noise.  I
set it up (even though the interface was lousy) and it was OK, except it
locked solid after anywhere between 12 and 24 hours and required a power
cycle to fix.  I took it back and got a refund caliming that it was
faulty and had an argument with the sales moron who claimed that this
couldn't possibly be a problem because all ADSL providers cut you off
after 2 hours... He could not be convinced that some providers did not
so this because his (BT) did, and they 'were the only people who did
ADSL'.  I noticed that on the returns form he specified that the modem
was to be returned 'to good stock', so someone else will have the problem.

Another time I was buying some resistors and wanted (say) a 420 ohm
resistor (of a certain tolerance).  I picked one out of the catalogue
(amongst the other components I needed) and went to collect my
components only to be informed that they didn't have any of the 420 ohm
resistors I had chosen.  So I went back to the catalogue and chose (say)
a 300 and a 120 ohm resistor to combine to make 420 ohms.  They didn't
have these either.

So I asked the serving muppet to get me any two resistors that added up
to 420 ohms.  He just stared at me, completely not understanding the
remarkably simple concept I was trying to impart.  I am sure he very
nearly drooled on the carpet.  I went back to picking the resistors myself.

After a few of times doing this and finding that they had not got any of
the combinations I was asking for, I asked if they actually had any
resistors of the type I wanted in stock.  The moron slouched into the
stock room and came out a couple of minutes later.  The didn't stock
that type of resistor.

Aaaaagh!  Muppets!

I am not even going to get started on PCWorld...

Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk