[Gllug] Questions re desktop 150 miles away.

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Sat Jan 22 11:11:46 UTC 2005

Sharon Kimble wrote:

>A - What folders do I need to copy to the CD for yum to use when updating
>please?

In /etc/yum.conf, there is an entry called "cachedir".  If you copy that
from your machine to a CDROM I think you'll be off to a good start.

>B - What commands will have to be used at the command line to tell yum to
>update from the CD please?

I suspect that doing this directly from the CDROM won't work, as yum is
probably constructed with expectation that "cachedir" is writable.  You
can give it a try, but I think that copying the contents of the CDROM to
the cachedir of your sister's machine and then running yum as normal
will give you better results.

I have not done any research into the internals of yum to prove this
technique safe, so you should consider it experimental and make sure you
have backups.

Alan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk