[Gllug] Repairing ubuntu packages

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Mon Jan 10 16:32:00 UTC 2005

After extensive filesystem corruption [1] I would like to repair all my
installed packages automatically on my Ubuntu system.  Ideally I'd write
a short script that parsed the result of some dpkg command showing which
.debs I had installed, and which automatically restored from the .deb
all files that had changed since installation (*except* /etc files,
which I would want to review before changing).  What's the easiest way
to do this?

cheers,
jack

[1] I must have really ruined the filesystems - ext3, but although the
journal showed clean, a fsck -fy on the filesystem showed repeated
errors.  After the 10 or 11th fsck in a row (at 20 minutes a time) I
gave up and restored the critical stuff from backups.