[Gllug] [OT] Netgear DG834 and DOS attacks

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 11:05:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 11:08 +0100, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> Does anyone use a Netgear DG834 ?
>
> I am being bombarded with DOS attacks from one machine based in Russia. Port Scans, loads of probes etc. Is there any way to block incoming access from a particular server/domain/ip address at the router level?

If the web interface doesn't let you, you could try getting shell access
and adding some iptables rules. Trouble is I'm not sure how easy it'd be
to customise the router so that it loaded up a blacklist every time it
was reset.

http://galliford.org/dg834g/ for how to get shell access.

This might be overkill - doesn't the web interface let you block whole
domains, perhaps it would do the right thing if you put put in an ip
address instead?

cheers,
Tom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk