[Gllug] Fedora - Large installation Help

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jul 19 09:33:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:22:03AM +0100, wendy carr wrote:
> I guess you guys are right, dhcp is the way to go.
> I ve got few pxe bootable desktops but most are not.
> Worse is they dont have floppy drives, what do you
> reckon burning bootable image ad kickstart on to CD ?

Sounds just fine.

> Also any idea how many instalaations i can run in
> parallel ? The server is dual amd with 1G memory.

The answer probably depends on the package set you are
trying to install. If the package set is small enough
that all the RPMs can be cached in RAM, then network
bandwidth will probably end up being in thelimiting factor.
If the total size of RPMs is > RAM, then you'll be limited
by disk IO bandwith. With 1 GB of RAM, I suspect you'll hit
the latter bottleneck if its a reasonably comprehensive
desktop software intsall set.

Basically just suck it & see - kick off say 5 installs,
and keep an eye on the IOWait figures for the server.
If possible perhaps try and kick off all installs at a
similar time, so that they're all requesting the same
particular RPM within short time span, which should
maximise benefit of file cache working set

Dan.